The Moroccan Experience
Explore the sights, aromas and flavours of Morocco in the friendly and atmospheric Port of Essaouira. This historic and Bohemian town has been chosen as an inspirational setting for many artists and is famous for it’s stunning architecture, intricate doorways and impressive Portuguese fortified harbour. The medina is home to exotic souks and aromatic spice markets where you can feast your eyes on colourful displays of carpets, babouches (Moroccan leather slippers) and bougies (candles) before a refreshing walk along the vast sandy beach famous for it’s Portuguese fortifications that are slowly crumbling into the sea. These are said to be the inspiration for Jimmy Hedrix’s song, Castles in the Sand.
Moroccan Experience 2016
October 15th – 22nd 2015 Price: £950
October 22nd – 29th 2015 Price: £950
Your Moroccan art experience includes:
- A night in Marrakesh Arrive in Marrakesh and spend a night in a Riad Jnane Mogador in the old medina, just by Marrakesh’s famous square, J’maa el Fnaa. We will watch the exotic square come to life at sunset whilst sipping mint tea and then dine at Cafe d’Epices. An essential experience before heading to the coastal town of Essaouira.
- Sketching with Watercolours. Once we arrive in Essaouira you can relax and capture the daily life in the bustling Portuguese harbour with cerulean blue fishing boats, bobbing brightly in the sunshine. We also find quiet spots in the old medina to sketch the famous Essaouiran doorways and shops selling a colourful array of rugs and trinkets.
- Photography Session. Lawrence Quammu, a local professional photographer, will teach you how to get the best from your camera whilst exploring the Port and streets of Essaouira. A perfect chance to capture some great shots to of your experience in Morocco and get some expert advice on how to spot those classic moments.
- The Best Dining in Essaouira. We will take you to the very best place to dine in Essaouira. Hand selected for a combination of traditional and fusion menus, we know how to surprise and excite the most experienced gourmet. We organise four evenings of culinary treats.
Included in your holiday:
- All accommodation costs. A night at the Riad Jnane Mogador in Marrakesh. Six nights at our private riad in Essaouira.
- Four evening meals at the very best foodie restaurants in Marrakesh and Essaouira.
- Travel costs from Marrakesh to Essaouira and return.
- All art materials.
- Photography afternoon course.
- Flights to Marrakesh
- Travel insurance.
- Pastry making with one of the women’s workshops. Learn how to make Moroccan delicacies using authentic ingredients and techniques, The workshop is run very simply and all proceeds go towards helping women in difficult circumstance. The centre gives support and educational facilities to women and children.
- Moroccan Hammam. A steam bath, cleanse and exfoliate using Moroccan black soap, made from olives, using an exfoliating mitt. The Hammam staff will do this for you, which is an experience not to be missed. You will emerge from your experience with skin glowing like new.
- Local boat trip to the Island of Mogador, offshore from the port and observe the Eleonora Falcons that nest there.
- A visit to one of the Argan forests that run along the Atlantic coastline of Morocco, a UNESCO World Heritage reserve and conservation area. Relax under the trees and sketch the goats that climb among the thorns to nibble the Argan fruit.
- Dine with a Moroccan family in the traditional manner. It is an honour for a guest to be invited to dine at the family table so it is an experience not to be missed.
What to expect on your Moroccan art experience
You will be amazed at what you can achieve with our support, encouragement and helpful tuition. Even if you have little or no artistic experience, we will show you how to sketch, paint or take amazing photographs to capture the best of your time in Essaouira. Those with more experience will have the materials and inspiration required for a truly creative adventure. Your week will leave your senses alive and stimulated by the many visual delights Essaouira has to offer with a wealth of opportunity to create your impression of this exotic experience in your unique artistic style. We will take in the view from the spacious esplanade overlooking the bustling harbour and surrounding islands. From our vantage point you can sketch the activity below and use watercolours to capture the unique blue boats that belong to the local fishermen. In the medina there are many quiet squares where life can be observed and noted in sketch form. Displays of carpets with sleeping cats await you and it is hard to resist recording your moments in your own unique piece of art.
Your home for your visit is a beautifully constructed private riad in the medina, a riad is a traditional Moroccan house with inner courtyard. The riad has several relaxing areas and a roof terrace to enjoy the sun. There are four luxurious en suite bedrooms with ample space to relax all bedrooms are double or twin and have an additional spare bed. Accommodation includes continental breakfast which is served on the roof terrace in the morning sun. Your ‘Adventure of Art’ course also includes four evening meals in the best Essaouiran restaurants and one traditional evening meal prepared by our housekeeper and served on the roof terrace under candle light and stars.